Well I don’t know about you, but I really think every weekend should be a three day weekend 🙂 I had a great time over the weekend, including co-hosting Fiesta Friday and I hope all of you did as well! We spent one day of the weekend looking at apartments since we’ll be moving soon. I know apartment searching can be a very time consuming and trying experience so I figured we’d start the day off with a delicious and very filling breakfast to help us make it through!
These baked eggs are super warm and tasty. I made them in individual dishes since it was just the two of us, but you could definitely double or triple the recipe and bake them in a larger baking dish if you’re feeding a crowd.
2 slices of day old bread
1/2 cup tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheese (whatever kind you like, I used fontina)
6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
fresh parsley, chopped
fresh basil, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Tear the slices of bread into small pieces and layer them on the bottom of ramekins or a baking dish.
2. Divide the tomato sauce over the bread.
3. Crack the eggs one by one into a separate bowl and then slide them from the bowl on top of the tomato sauce and bread.
4. Top with cheese and tomatoes. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over each egg. bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes until the whites of eggs have turned white and the yokes are cooked through.
5. Remove them from the oven and top with a small amount of chopped basil and parsley. Enjoy!