I feel like I’m always coming up with quick pasta dinner ideas for weeknight meals. The process usually involves rummaging through the fridge to see what vegetables I need to use up and then deciding what shape of pasta and which cheese to pair with them. These quick pastas are perfect for days when I get home from work and I’m too tired and hungry to start cooking anything too involved.
I actually came up with this broccoli and feta combo in college, probably because they were the only two things in the fridge at the time. However it began, it has definitely become one of my favorites. You might think feta is an odd choice for this dish but it’s creaminess actually works really well.
Broccoli and Feta Pasta
3-4 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 head of broccoli
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 lb of pasta (I used spaghetti but I also love this with farfalle)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1. Chop the head of broccoli into florets.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to pan on medium-low heat and add the garlic, after about 1 minute add the broccoli and season with salt and pepper.
3. Let your broccoli cook until it’s tender, about 6-8 minutes, lower the heat if it seems too hot. While your broccoli is cooking, boil a pot of salted water for your pasta.
4. Once your water is boiling add your pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta.
5. Turn off the heat on the broccoli and add your pasta, toss to combine. Then add the cheese and toss again. Top it with a bit more salt and pepper and another 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil if needed. Enjoy!